A Labour Victory for the 99.9%

Year by year wealth and power is being concentrated into the hands of a tiny class of inordinately rich individuals. This capitalist class, who make up just 0.1% of the population, own societies factories, banks and offices, while the rest of us (the 99.9%) must sell our ability to work.

From this work we get paid as little as our capitalist owners think they can get away with giving us, leaving them with the rest of the wealth (their profits) that we so studiously generate.

A large share of these profits are quickly shifted to offshore tax havens. At the same time that hundreds of billions of pounds has been pumped into the economy (or rather into the bank accounts of the super-rich) via quantitative easing.

We are then told the lie of austerity: that there is no money, and that we will all have to suffer to make things better. We are also sold the lie that we, the 99.9% love capitalism and hate it’s antithesis, socialism.

But now things are beginning to change. An avowed socialist has been elected by a landslide victory to become the new leader of the Labour Party.

This is an important change, given the fact that in recent decades the Labour Party has loyally placed the anti-worker demands of big business before the needs of their electorate.

Labour’s new leader, Jeremy Corbyn, received a stunning 60% of the leadership vote. Contrast this to local Blairite Liz Kendall, whose right-wing ideas received barely 5% of the vote.

Last Friday, as a final parting shot to the ideas of socialism, Kendall attacked Corbyn, saying his plans for quantitative easing for people, not banks, will “risk destabilising our currency…, harming the living standards of millions of people in this country, particularly the poor and low paid.”

This position was echoed by the Tories, who, after hearing of Corbyn’s result tweeted: “Labour are now a serious risk to our nation’s security, our economy’s security and your family’s security.”

TorytweetYet it is precisely because Kendall is so committed to making defeatist arguments like the Tories, catering to the needs of the capitalist class not the working-class, that she lost the leadership election so decisively.

Demonstrating the concrete difference between Corbyn and majority of other elected Labour councillors and MPs, the first thing he after being named Labour’s new leaders was to use his position to support his class. He did this by addressing a crowd of 100,000 people who had gather in London to demonstrate against the racist lies being told about the refugee crisis by the government and the media.

During his short speech Corbyn, who plays a leading role within the Stop the War Coalition, spelt out the direct connections between needless wars and the refugee crisis. As it is clear to many, if we are ever to get to the root cause of the immiseration of the global working-class then capitalist wars for profit must be brought to an end and opposed by all means possible.

This letter was emailed to the Leicester Mercury mailbox on 13th September.

Refugeeprotest

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s